5. Big Mac. Seriously, there’s something about the taste. It’s pure McDonalds but also totally unique. I don’t generally order these, but every once in a while I get an intense craving for them, and that’s gotta count for something. Fun fact: My vegetarian friend used to order these without meat. They tasted generally the same as the ones with meat. It was a little weird.
4. McDLT. Gone before it’s time. Seriously, I wouldn’t want to be a fresh tomato hanging around a McDonald’s either, but this sandwich was the greatest of their failures.
3. Egg McMuffin. With ham of course, as the bacon is either under- or over-cooked, and the sausage is for Americans. Seriously, the original Egg McMuffin (with cheese) is a perfectly balanced breakfast sandwich, without the cloying sweetness or mushy texture of the McGriddle. While I do appreciate the more-is-more aesthetic of the McGriddle, the original Egg McMuffin with two hashbrowns and an Orange Juice in a large coke cup (you have to ask special and pay considerably more, but it’s worth it) is the perfect fast food breakfast.
2. Cheeseburger. The original, a nearly perfect snack food that tastes exactly like McDonalds, all around the world.
1. Double Cheeseburger. A simple sandwhich, yes, but the balance of meat, cheese, pickle, onion, condiment, and bun has been perfected. Fresh out of the warming tray, there is nothing better. From McDonald’s.
Booby Prize: McRibwich. I mean, I get it, but it’s not actually good, just rare. If it was on the menu regularly no one would order them.
Japan’s best: Hmm. That’s tough, but it’s probably the McPork. The McTeriyaki is dripping in Teriyaki sauce and mayonaise. Seriously, just DRIPPING. It’s totally suited to Japanese tastes, but I don’t intend to ever eat one gain. The McPork is subtle and has a spiced patty, has a much more enjoyable texture, and is 100 yen. Solid.
Caveat: It’s still McDonald’s, so, you know, beware.
Image: McDonald’s makes tiny versions of its food, on cell-phone straps, as an incentive at its Asian restaurants. My friend David just sent me a tiny McGriddle, I’ll get a pic up soon.